Last Updated on May 29, 2020
These delicious roasted chickpeas make a super-healthy, super-delicious snack. Say bye bye to those diet-busting bags of chips! Plus this spiced roasted chickpeas recipe is easy-peasy and adaptable to your flavor preferences.
Spiced roasted chickpeas are full of protein & fiber and are utterly addictive and satisfying. And as snacks go, they’re also very affordable!
Spiced Roasted Chickpeas: Healthy Snack Food for the Win!
Do you like to snack on salty crunchy food? (Me, too!)
But a lot of salty-crunchy things aren’t so great for us. Especially if you have a chip habit, you’re probably getting more processed oils and artificial flavorings than is ideal.
Finding alternatives full of health-promoting nutrients is a savvy way to improve your diet. Enter deliciously crunchy, flavorful roasted chickpeas!
If you’ve seen roasted chickpeas for sale in a natural foods store and had a little case of sticker shock, I hear you. Five bucks a serving just isn’t economically viable for most of us.
These easy roasted chickpeas will save you a bundle and give you a hefty dose of fiber, protein and minerals.
When you use dried chickpeas, you not only save money, but you can soak them for maximum nutrition. This spiced roasted chickpeas recipe recommends soaking dried chickpeas in salted water overnight, which breaks down the phytic acid in chickpeas and makes nutrients more available.
(Useful soaking and sprouting information here.) Soaking your chickpeas will also save energy, since you won’t have to cook them as long.
Why are roasted chickpeas so good for you?
Whether you call them garbanzo beans or chickpeas, these tasty little legumes are full of useful nutrients, like magnesium, B-6, and folate, great for boosting your immune system. They’re also one of my top picks for foods that help you sleep.
A one-cup serving of cooked chickpeas also has nearly a full day’s supply of manganese and a quarter of the RDA for iron. Their fiber content makes them a good choice for promoting gut health. Plus they’re one of the top vegan protein sources.
Then there’s the curry powder, which contains numerous health-promoting spices, like turmeric, coriander, and cardamom. Here’s more on curry powder’s superpowers.
Health benefits aside, these spiced roasted chickpeas are absolutely delicious!!! I love snacking on them, and I enjoy them more knowing I’m getting a nice protein and mineral boost.
Ingredients for spiced roasted chickpeas
Buying dried chickpeas will save you a lot of money (as well as avoiding the impact of cans and chemical exposure in canned food). But in a pinch, canned chickpeas work in this recipe also.
I always recommend using organic products when possible. You can find organic dried chickpeas at your local natural foods store or on Amazon.
A 1-pound bag should make about the equivalent of four cans. If you have a natural foods store that sells dried chickpeas in bulk, you can bring your own jar or reusable bag and make your spiced roasted chickpeas zero waste.
These tasty roasted chickpeas also make great homemade gifts. Put your roasted chickpeas in a glass jar and tie with a ribbon to give to teachers, friends or bring to holiday parties.
In need of some other easy homemade gift ideas? Here are more than 25 easy homemade gifts for the not-so-crafty!
I flavor mine with curry powder, but you could leave it out and just have salted chickpeas. Or try your favorite spices and let me know how they are!
1. If using dried chickpeas, 1 1/3 cups dried chickpeas should make about 4 cups cooked. Rinse your dried chickpeas well and check for stones. Cover with about 3 inches of water. Add 2tsp salt, stir well to dissolve, and soak overnight. 6. Remove from oven and cool. Store in an airtight container.
2. Drain, rinse, and cover with water again. Then cook over medium heat till tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and rinse. Allow to stand in a strainer 30 min to an hour to dry.
3. Spread cooked chickpeas in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan.
4. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with curry powder and salt. Toss to coat.
5. Place in center of oven at 400 degrees. Stir or shake pan occasionally. Chickpeas will become brown and crunchy in 15-20 minutes.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
1. If using dried chickpeas, 1 1/3 cups dried chickpeas should make about 4 cups cooked. Rinse your dried chickpeas well and check for stones. Cover with about 3 inches of water. Add 2tsp salt, stir well to dissolve, and soak overnight.
6. Remove from oven and cool. Store in an airtight container.
Are you a chickpea fan also? Let me know if you try this roasted chickpeas recipe!
Pin to save this roasted chickpeas recipe for later!
Photo credits: Liliana Fuchs, djanoff, SEMSEMS, Robyn Anderson